Monday 26 September 2022

"How Animators Get Hired" by Kevin Richards

Kevin Richards teaching at Escape Studios
Escapee Kevin Richards took our short course in 3D animation at Escape Studios and is now working as a Lead Animator at the new Aardman Animation TV Series "Pop Paper City", produced by LoveLove Films. 

As a production lead, Kevin reviews animation reels and makes hiring decisions on new talent.

In the guest blog below, Kevin explains how our students can maximise their chances of getting hired in the animation industry. 

Finding Work in the Animation Industry - How to Increase Your Chances

1.  Get Some Inside Knowledge
Cloth Cat Animation - Kevin's first 3D Animation Job
"Get to know someone "on the inside" if you can.  Almost all the jobs I got over the past thirty years were through word of mouth, because I had been recommended by someone who knew me.  

I got my first job at Cloth Cat Animation because when I researched the company I found out that the guy who ran the place was someone I had worked with twenty years earlier.   I bypassed HR altogether and emailed him directly.  He remembered me and liked my reel - HR got in contact shortly after.  I got my current job from someone I worked with at Cloth cat who recommended me.  This then raises a corollary question for people just out of college:

"I don't know anyone in the industry. I am just out of college. How can I get some one to recommend me when no one knows me?"

The answer to this is:

Internships (preferably paid)
Internships are your opportunity to be tested in a professional environment. If you acquit yourself well as an intern and show that you can do work well, cheerfully and on time you will be the first option that crosses people's minds when there is a rush on and they need someone to step into the breach.  People tend to take the path of least resistance - when there is a rush on the lead will think - "Why do I need to spend hours looking through show reels when X is already here?".  With a combination of hard work and the luck of good timing you will eventually get your chance.

2. Form a Community
Form your own community.
Don't hoard information on jobs, share it.  Everyone increases their chances of getting hired if everyone shares all the information they have about upcoming opportunities.  I am on a FB group that shares information - form your own online groups to build your community.

3. Be seen in the Industry
Going to all the events makes a difference if you are a face that people recognise. One of the most important is Bring Your Own Animation. You need to be careful not to be schmoozing to hard, and schmoozing definitely won't work if you don't have a great reel to back you up. But if you do then you will be a familiar face that people remember and which will pop into their heads whenever a studio gets a rush on.

For this reason having good social skills is very important. You want to be cheerful, friendly, pleasant to be around. You want to give off the impression that you will do what is necessary to get the job done and not complain about it. You definitely want to show that you are passionate about animation.

4. Learn Some New Software
Why not learn Blender? It is free!
A lot of people are really into Blender at the moment.  This will increase your chances of getting hired. An understanding of After Effects and Nuke can be real assets.

5. Learn More Than One Skill
Generalists are in high demand. If you are an animator who also knows rigging/modelling/lighting this will increase your chances.

6. Stay in Touch With Employers 
Check in regularly with the companies you are interested in.  This can raise a worry in applicants minds, as most people are afraid of being perceived as a pest.  However, one thing I have observed is that old applications can get buried and fossilized under new ones. I have recently had a situation where a very good applicant visited the studio and told me she hadn't heard back from us. I was surprised and chased up her CV myself.  So it doesn't hurt to check in every now and then and remind people that you are out there. One really great way of doing this is: -

5. Keep Doing New Animation
Why not enter?
Try to do a new, simple ten to fifteen second piece every three to four months (such as the 11 Second Club). This will give you an excuse to touch base with all the companies you have applied to in the past. You can preface your email with "Hey, I just finished this brand new piece of work."  This will show that you are progressing and are working on your craft.  It will keep you fresh in people's minds. "

--- Kevin Richards

Kevin Richards' Jobs and Careers Advice
To see more advice from Kevin Richards on how to find your first job in the animation industry, see the links below:

Interview and Demo Reel Resources at Escape Studios
To see more resources on animation jobs and careers generally, see the the links below:

The Escape Studios Animation Blog offers a personal view on the art of animation and visual effects. To find out more about our new BA/MArt, now recruiting for September 2023, follow this link.   To apply, visit the official page here
 


No comments:

Post a Comment