Thursday 17 May 2018

Chan Sagoo at MPC Academy

Many congratulations to Chan Sagoo, who has recently been offered a place at the MPC Academy in Montreal, Canada.

Chan took our recent short course in 3D animation, and is now taking advantage of the global opportunities in the animation and VFX industry.

We asked Chan a few questions about how she managed to land this highly competitive position. 

Chan Sagoo
What is MPC Academy?
Chan: MPC Academy is a programme designed for junior animators in order to introduce them into the VFX industry.  It is a 12-month paid contract consisting of 12 weeks' training followed by 9 months of working on a show.

How did you get the position?
Chan: I applied online with my showreel, a cover letter and a copy of my CV.  Shortly after, I was contacted by a member of MPC's HR Dept, and they arranged a Skype interview with the head of the academy and one of the senior trainers.

What will it involve?
Chan: The MPC Academy will teach you how to apply your skills in a busy production studio and you'll need to complete tasks to a high standard whilst meeting deadlines. The trainers and mentors will assess your daily and weekly progress and meet with you regularly to discuss your development. If you have completed the 12 weeks training to MPC’s standard, you will graduate from the academy and move onto the animation floor where you'll be working on productions with the rest of the team.

What advice would you give to students hoping to break into the industry?
Chan: I think it's important to know roughly what kind of animation style you want to do in the future, whether it be photo real animation, cartoony, creature etc. For me, I was always more interested in photo real animation and, in particular, creatures. Therefore, whilst studying I would always work on my projects with the idea that the work I’m doing could potentially go in my reel. As I wanted to focus on creature animation, most of my reel consisted of a variety of creatures and this is something that MPC look for as they do a ton of creature work. I think its very important to tailor your reel according to the company you are applying to.

Another piece of advice is don’t be afraid to ask questions. Your tutors are there to help and support you. Whilst I was studying at Escape (and even afterwards) I would constantly ask questions about anything I wasn’t sure on and I would also ask for constant feedback (and by the way, feedback does hurt sometimes, but you just need to take everything onboard, as it will make you a better animator).

Finally, and most importantly, work hard! After I finished my 12-week course at Escape, I would be back at the studio from early morning until late at night working on my reel until the very last minute before submitting it to VFX studios. It’s up to you how much work you do outside of class but I do believe that in animation, the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.

To see Chan's excellent demo reel, cut together at the end of the 12 Week course at Escape Studios, watch the video below.


Animation Reel 2018 from Chan Sagoo on Vimeo.


The Escape Studios Animation Blog offers a personal view on the art of animation and visual effects. To apply for our BA/MArt in 3D Animation, follow this link.  To apply for our storyboarding evening class, visit this page here.  For the next 12 week animation course, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment