"Moon Rockz" is a unique film project at Escape Studios in that this was a collaboration between students on our master's degree in Storyboarding & Previsualisation and undergraduate students studying the Art of Computer Animation.
The film is a short story about the moon landings - as told from the Moon's point of view. It's a charming and funny film, in which students at Escape Studios successfully worked together across different departments to pull off a stylish result.
"Moon Rockz" is currently being entered into film festivals, and we wish it every success.
Moon Rockz Storyboard
Moon Rockz was based on an original idea by Molly Babington, who also did the storyboard animatic. The animatic was pitched to the second year animation students as one of a number of projects at Escape Studios which could be taken forward into production.
Moon Rockz - Final Film
Below you can see the final film, and how it developed from the storyboards above.
Colour scripts were also created by Molly for "Moon Rockz". The colour scripts were an essential first step in deciding the look and feel of the film, and what the textures and final lighting would look like.
Without colour scripts, the lighters would have lacked a coherent road map of where they needed to get to. To see more about the importance of colour scripts in animation, read this blog post.
Santi helped the animation team push the standard of their work, helping them to make their shots more expressive, and better communicate what the characters are thinking and feeling.
Santi gave the Moon Rockz team the time to go through all the shots on the film, drawing expressive poses in Syncsketch and making sure that every shot was as good as it could possibly be. All our animators got notes, and all of them were able to push their shots a little bit further before the final May 29th deadline.
|Still image from "Moon Rockz"|
"Moon Rockz" was animated in Autodesk Maya, edited in Adobe Premiere, and rendered in Arnold.
- Molly Babington - Writer, Director, Art Director, 3D Layout, Modeling and Rigging
- Stevie Stedman - Producer
- Victoria Pleschko - Editor, Co-Producer, Compositing Supervisor
- Austin Hill - Sound Design
- Leroy Dias - CG Supervisor
- Charalampos Avraam - 2D Supervisor, modeling
- Brandon Pascal - Lighting Supervisor
- Erica Melino - Compositing Lead
- Anastasia Gurova - Art Dept
- Timothy Jones - Art Dept, Animation, Credits
- Musharaf Hussein Rasel - Modeling
- Andrew Watson - Modeling
- Paolo Amadini - Animation, Modeling, Rigging
- Michaela Butler - Rigging
- Heidi Prescott - Lead Texturer
- Jonathan Humphries - Animation
- Giada Carnevaletti - Animation
- Natasha Di Maggio - Animation
- Matt Neputin - Animation
- Marco Ramos - Animation
- Robert Hagan - Compositing
- Christian Heim - Compositing
- Jing Ding - Compositing
- Guy Buckley- Compositing
You can find "Moon Rockz" at the IMDB here.
The Escape Studios Animation Blog offers a personal view on the art of animation and visual effects. To find out more about our new BA/MArt, now recruiting for September 2020, follow this link. To apply, visit the official page here.