|Michael Morgan at Escape Studios|
We're delighted to welcome Michael back to Escape Studios; his film credits include Guardians of the Galaxy, Beauty and the Beast, and Black Panther.
|Michael Morgan worked on Black Panther|
Michael teaches a traditional acting approach to character animation, emphasising the importance of animators filming themselves acting out a shot - shooting live action reference and then using this reference for their animation.
Acting and performance
For example, on Guardians of The Galaxy , Michael explains that every animator "had to act out their own shot"; sometimes you "even act out other people's shots". And someone else might have given the best performance - in which case that's the one you pick. It's a team effort, and you "have to get comfortable acting stuff out".
Michael's approach to animation is based on years of study of the workflow of the classic Disney movies, showing how a traditional approach to animation, and traditional methods, can still be applied today.
Michael Morgan at Escape Studios
Michael will be taking over temporarily from Benoit to teach 12 week animation evening class on the
- Tuesday 17 March, Thursday 19 March
- Tuesday 24 March, Thursday 26 March
- Tuesday 31 March, Thursday 2 April
- Tuesday 7 April, Thursday 9 April
- Tuesday 14 April, Thursday 16 April
Michael Morgan - from Classroom to Studio
To see more about Michael's work and how he approaches the character animation process, read this post.
Study animation at Escape Studios
There are four main ways to study animation at Escape Studios
- Animation Short Course. Our 12 week zero-to-hero intensive course.
- Animation MA in 3D Animation. One year intensive course of study, 5 modules including a studio project.
- Animation Evening Class. 20 weeks of study, two nights per week.
- BA/MArt. Three (four if you do the MA) years of undergraduate and post-graduate study. This course remains the gold standard for learning the art and craft of animation.